Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Our Sugar and Salt addiction

Most of us use sugar in our tea and coffee, and we add salt to our food for flavour.
Why are we doing that, since there is enough sugar and salt in our fruits and vegetables already?

It is because we have been trained since infant-hood that sweet is nice. Just taste all the medicines, cereals and drinks for children. They are almost all sweetened. We have been made accustomed to the use of sugar and salt by our parents, and they by their parents, etc.

The high intake of salt often lead to High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), and the spikes in blood sugar levels due to sweet drinks and food, lead to Diabetes in adults.

I have seen people using up to 6 teaspoons of sugar in a mug, or up to 5 teaspoons of salt in a mug. That is besides the fact that a lot of foodstuff is salt, to increase shelf life. That is why the South African government is now busy with legislation that will limit the use of salt in foodstuff. Our clinics simply cannot cope with all the High Blood Pressure and Diabetes patients. Almost 90% of those attending government clinics suffer from High Blood Pressure and / or Diabetes, or has  suffered a stroke.

I have seen this when I took my father for treatment at the clinic. He himself is suffering from Hypertension, and had a stroke already. He lost partial control of his right hand and right leg. That is why I have decided that bitter is best. I now drink tea and coffee without adding any sugar. I have now cut from my diet all fizzy drinks, pastries and sweets and I also do not add salt to my raw tomatoes, boiled eggs, cucumbers etc.

I must set the example for my children and grandchildren.

Prevention is better than cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.